[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Apr 9 22:13:27 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the file browser, I'm still missing change dates, tree view doesn't
> have dates to quickly see which files got changed last,  e.g.
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/gitweb?p=scipy;a=tree;h=refs/heads/trunk;hb=trunk

Yes, you can't see this cheaply with git (as it does not track
individual files), but I don't really understand what's useful in this
view. What matters is the commits, not the last changed files which
come from different commits.

> Cannot obtain needed commit 9e55c6b0809e66049f808448a2ce3a1131e318fe
> while processing commit 7a429837e7ea88547711e5b3b5b9e38569fad553.
> fatal: Fetch failed.

That may be a problem with the connection, or our own git
configuration. But connection errors in svn can be pretty cryptic too.
I agree the above message is bad, but not worse than "MKACTIVITY not
authorized" and the likes I consistently get with svn behind corporate
firewall/proxies.

At least with git I can continue working.

> I created a branch but on my file system nothing happened. So I
> started to read the tutorial, which says that all branches are in the
> same directory. How can I edit files on the file system if I don't
> know what branch I'm in?

This may be a limitation of the GUI - in the command line, you simply
do "git branch" to list your local branches (git status also tell you
the branch you are currently in).

> Is there a way to have branches in different directories?

I don't think you should start with all this. That's why our wiki page
does not introduce branches right away:

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitWorkflow

It enables you to do what you usually do with svn, without branches
and the likes.

> I don't want
> to have to start git all the time when I'm editing some files on a
> branch?

You have to if you need to change between branches, there is no way around it.

> C:\Josef\work-oth\!oth\testbranches\copyofpv>git log -p master..pv/master
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'master..pv/master': unknown revision or path not in t
> he working tree.

That's because you don't have both branches in your repository. You
need branches to compare in the same repository (directory). You can
list branches with git branch -a, and then git log branch1..branch2
will work for any two branches listed.

Same for any other command. But this is already a bit advanced usage
(and again, it is not like doing branch stuff with svn is any easier -
the svn documentation is very cryptic too on that matter). I think
what is relevant is whether the simple svn workflow can be done with
git. Trying to do branches as in svn won't work, as it is
fundamentally different.

cheers,

David