[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Apr 10 09:57:09 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Matthieu Brucher
<matthieu.brucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/10 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
>> Eric Firing wrote:
>>> Speaking to Josef: does tortoise-hg provide a satisfactory windows gui,
>>> from your standpoint?
>>>

>> Another solution may be eclipse integration. I don't know if that would
>> work for Josef, but there is a git plugin for eclipse, and I can at
>> least clone branches from a remote repository, and work with it.
>>
>> Is there a hg eclipse plugin ? I am not very knowledgeable about IDE,
>
> Yes, there is MercurialEclipse. I don't know how it handles branches.
> I use BzrEclipse for my work, and it doesn't handle branches at all,
> you have to fall back to the command line.

I tried out mercurial one year ago, including the eclipse plugin, but
it didn't work very well compared to the svn plugin. And since at that
time mercurial to svn connection wasn't very good, I gave up (I have
all my work in svn). I haven't used it since except for checking out
some repositories. It's time consuming to keep track of 4 different
version control systems, and for my main use, I'm quite ok with svn
and minimal use of bzr. I never tried tortoise, because I prefer
standalone programs or program plugins that don't mess with my windows
installation or registry, if I'm not sure I use it long-term.

Now that I see the differences in the branching concept between git
and the other ones, I can understand that for reviewing patches, the
git way of branches in the same directory is much faster.  But how do
you actually run the programs in python? How does python know which
version to access? Or does git change the content of the files
whenever you switch a branch?
Answering my own question, for the record, after some more playing:
`git checkout branchname` changes files in directory to the branch
version, updates changed time stamp to date of checkout (i.e.
modification time of a file in git is useless information).

I think there is a difference in the usage pattern for development and
for reviewing patches. When writing or rewriting code, I just need a
few stable branches (clones) and directory access and information
based on file structure is more convenient, which is also more
consistent with the workspace concept of eclipse.
For reviewing and trying out patches, the patch orientation of git is
more useful, I imagine.

I haven't tried ssh with git yet, with bzr and launchpad, half a year
ago it took several hours of trial and error and googling to get it
setup, (that was quite a few versions of bzr ago).  With svn,
authorization to commit to the scipy repository required filling out
name and password in the svn gui and it worked.

Josef