[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Fri Apr 10 16:47:28 CDT 2009

Hi,

I enjoyed this quote from http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/git/

"When I first started using Git, I read plenty of tutorials, as well
as the user manual. Though I picked up the basic usage patterns and
commands, I never felt like I grasped what was going on “under the
hood”, so to speak. Frequently this resulted in cryptic error
messages, caused by my random guessing at the right command to use at
a given time. These difficulties worsened as I began to need more
advanced (and less well documented) features.

After a few months, I started to understand those under-the-hood
concepts. Once I did, suddenly everything made sense. I could
understand the manual pages and perform all sorts of source control
tasks. Everything that seemed so cryptic and obscure now was perfectly
clear.
Understanding Git

The conclusion I draw from this is that you can only really use Git if
you understand how Git works. Merely memorizing which commands you
should run at what times will work in the short run, but it’s only a
matter of time before you get stuck or, worse, break something."

Best,

Matthew