[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Apr 10 21:17:56 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Important note: if there are any uncommitted changes when you run git
> checkout, Git will behave very strangely. The strangeness is predictable
> and sometimes useful, but it is best to avoid it. All you need to do, of
> course, is commit all the new changes before checking out the new head.

If by strange and confused, the OP means refuse to change branch, then
yes. Otherwise, I have no idea what he is talking about. Maybe an old
git version - he does not say which one he is using.

Also, it is said in the introduction that the OP was using git but did
not understand what was happening under the hood. So his conclusion is
you have to understand git internals to understand git internals ?
Sounds tautological to me.

I am all for hearing git bashing by people - but I would prefer if it
was coming after actual use of the tool.

> The state you are in while your HEAD is detached is not recorded by any
>        branch...

The only occasion it happened to me was with git-svn - which I would
no advocate using as a transition path, indeed. It is great for
individual people (I use it all the time for numpy) but it is
definitely strange UI-wise sometimes.

David