[Numpy-discussion] Python version dependency

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sat Apr 11 11:45:23 CDT 2009

Hi,

> Sturla Molden has a patch adding offset support to memmap. However... the
> feature requires Python 2.5 and above. The Python version is checked for in
> the code but I am wondering if we want to do that sort of thing. Using
> advanced features here and there doesn't bother me too much as long as they
> are marked with a grepable signature like "REMOVE_IN_FUTURE" so the code
> doesn't accumulate too much crud. On the other hand, maybe we should just
> wait until python 2.5 becomes a requirement of numpy.

I think it's OK to do conditional stuff.

We used to have the occasional check for set() for example.  I don't
think cruft is a big worry, because there's not much of it, and it's
usually pretty obvious to someone maintaining the code, but a good
signature comment would be useful.

Matthew