[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 13 10:12:13 CDT 2009

2009/4/12 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> I underestimated the
> value of this type of manipulation, and of having a clearly structured
> and easily traversable history.

I read that Bram Cohen of Codeville / "patience diff" fame doesn't
agree with me, so I'll give his opinion too:

"""
Don't bother with a pretty history.

The history of a branch is hardly ever looked at. Making it look
pretty for the historians is just a waste of time. The beauty of 3-way
merge is that you can always clean stuff up later and never worry
about the past mess ever again. In particular, don't go to great
lengths to make sure that there's a coherent local image of the entire
repository exactly as it appeared on your local machine after every
new feature. There are very rare projects which maintain a level of
reliability and testing which warrant such behavior, and yours isn't
one of them.
"""

http://bramcohen.livejournal.com/52148.html

I look at the SciPy history a lot, so I'm not convinced, but there it is.

Cheers
Stéfan