[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Fadhley Salim Fadhley.Salim@uk.calyon....
Wed Apr 15 11:17:45 CDT 2009

I've been asked to provide Numpy & Scipy as python egg files.
Unfortunately Numpy and Scipy do not make official releases of their
product in .egg form for a Win32 platform - that means if I want eggs
then I have to compile them myself.

At the moment my employer provides Visual Studio.Net 2003, which will
compile no version of Numpy later than 1.1.1 - every version released
subsequently cannot be compiled with VS2003. I've tried.

What I'd really like is some other compiler I can use, perhaps for free,
but at a push as a free time-limited trial. I would use that to compile
the eggs. Is anybody aware of another compiler that I can download and
use without paying anything and will definitely compile Numpy on
Windows?

So in summary, what I need is:

* A compiler for Windows
* Which will definitely compile numpy 1.3.0
* Which I can use for free (legally)

Please only suggest something if you know for a fact that it works - no
speculation!

Thanks!