[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Apr 16 00:50:59 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 00:45, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:33:48PM +0100, Fadhley Salim wrote:
>> We deploy on a very large number of computers in 5 countries.
>
>> PEAK's Setuptools gives us the ability to do all this deployment
>> automatically. If we can package all of our dependancies as egg files
>> then setuptools automatically deploys the egg files from a bunch of
>> web-servers we have around the globe. It would be an enormous pain if we
>> had to go to every single machine and run an exe installer.
>
> PEAK's setuptools is fragile with complex packages. This is the core
> reason numpy is not distributed as an egg, as the implications on what
> numpy would have to do to 'fit' in an egg compromise numpy's instal
> quality (read: random crashes). David would tell you more about this,
> since he went through all this pain.

Nonsense. There is no reason that numpy *has* to be built with an
optimized BLAS. We try hard to ensure that. It is David's desire to
distribute numpy builds with optimized BLASes that does not fit into
eggs, not numpy. Plain numpy eggs are really straightforward.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco