[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Apr 16 01:54:56 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:27, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> It is David's desire to
>> distribute numpy builds with optimized BLASes that does not fit into
>> eggs, not numpy. Plain numpy eggs are really straightforward.
>
> There may be a misunderstanding: I would not mind distributing something
> without optimized BLAS. Not using atlas at all would be easier for me,
> but I think some people were against that when we discussed the matter
> some time ago. But I think it would be confusing to have an optimized
> numpy from .exe and an unoptimized numpy from eggs on the same machine.
> I am afraid we would have people complaining about this instead of
> complaining about the lack of eggs.

I have found that people are more willing to accept that they have to
do something different to get a technically chalenging feature (i.e.
use a particular installer to get a safe, optimized BLAS) than to
accept that a relatively straightforward feature is not available at
all (i.e. egg binaries on PyPI).

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."