[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Fadhley Salim Fadhley.Salim@uk.calyon....
Fri Apr 17 03:02:54 CDT 2009

You actually need the package unpacked to use scipy.weave and make C
extensions which use Numpy's .h files.

We have found that Numpy + Scipy are perfectly zip-safe for users but
not for developers.

-----Original Message-----
From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org
[mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of David
Cournapeau
Sent: 17 April 2009 05:46
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 23:37, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I think it will try to collect all of the possibilities by looking
>>> at PyPI and the download link, then decide on the best one. But it
>>> could be that if there are files on PyPI, it will only consider
>>> those. I don't know.
>>
>> I ended up pushing the binary on pypi, and it looks like it is
>> working, easy_install can retrieve it. At least from the output,
>> easy_install looks on both pypi and sourceforge, but it picks up the
>> binary on Pypi (the superpack installer is explicitly named such as
>> to be incompatible with easy_install to avoid weird errors).
>
> Great. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Since I am not an egg user myself, I wonder whether it would be useful
to make numpy zip-safe ? Can it be done without numpy relying on
setuptools, or do we have to use setuptools for pkg_resources (maybe
pkg_resources can be used without using the whole setuptools machinery
?)

cheers,

David