[Numpy-discussion] does numpy/scipy have solver for Ax=b, L_inf (Chebyshev norm)?

Sat Apr 18 09:25:07 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:29 AM, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko@scipy.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> does numpy/scipy, or maybe wrapper for a lapack routine have solver
> for Ax=b, L_inf (Chebyshev norm, i.e. max |Ax-b| -> min)? If there are
> several ones, which ones are most suitable for large-scale, maybe ill-
> conditioned problems?

The Remez algorithm will solve such problems if the columns of A form a
Chebyshev system, but the only version of that algorithm in scipy is
specialized to FIR filter design. I have a python version floating about
somewhere from many years ago.

Chuck