[Numpy-discussion] Porting strategy for py3k

Thu Apr 23 23:24:15 CDT 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Though I'm a bit surprised that that's not how the print function is
> written in the first place (maybe it is in py3k -- I'm testing on 2.5)

That's actually how it works as far as I can tell. The thing with
removing those print is that we can do it without too much trouble. As
long as we cannot actually test any py3k code, warnings from python 2.6
is all we can get.

I think we should aim at getting "something" which builds and runs (even
if does not go further than import stage), so we can gradually port. For
now, porting py3k is this huge thing that nobody can work on for say one
hour. I would like to make sure we get at that stage, so that many
people can take part of it, instead of the currently quite few people
who are deeply intimate with numpy.

David