[Numpy-discussion] MemoryError in numpy.test() on AIXinstallation

Whitcomb, Mr. Tim tim.whitcomb@nrlmry.navy....
Tue Apr 28 12:26:04 CDT 2009

> > To further complicate issues, I do not have sysadmin rights on the
> > machine in question, and I'm not entirely confident that
> Python itself
> > was built properly (I've had to sort out some other issues as well).
> > The version in use is:
> > Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Sep 17 2008, 13:24:29) [C] on aix5
> >

> Did you run the python test suite ? I would first check this,
> to make sure the problem is related to numpy and not python.

I was trying to find out how to do this at the same time I sent the
original message.  If I run
$ python /site/python-2.5.2/lib/python2.5/test/regrtest.py
I get:
5 tests failed:
    test_cookielib test_mmap test_uuid test_wait4 test_zipfile
53 tests skipped:
    test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_bsddb test_bsddb185
    test_bsddb3 test_bz2 test_cd test_cl test_codecmaps_cn
    test_codecmaps_hk test_codecmaps_jp test_codecmaps_kr
    test_codecmaps_tw test_ctypes test_curses test_dl test_gdbm
    test_gl test_gzip test_hashlib test_hmac test_imgfile
    test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_macfs test_macostools
    test_md5 test_nis test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep247
    test_pep277 test_plistlib test_scriptpackages test_sha
    test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sqlite test_startfile
    test_sunaudiodev test_tcl test_timeout test_unicodedata
    test_urllib2 test_urllib2_localnet test_urllib2net test_urllibnet
    test_winreg test_winsound test_zipfile64 test_zipimport test_zlib
12 skips unexpected on aix5:
    test_hashlib test_curses test_hmac test_urllib2net test_largefile
    test_ctypes test_urllib2 test_urllib2_localnet test_sha
    test_pep247 test_unicodedata test_md5

Most of the unexpected skips happen because of not being able to load
the _md5 module, but the ctypes failure has me worried ("test_ctypes
skipped -- No module named _ctypes").  I can see in the numpy source
where it tries to import this library.  Would missing this and/or the
_md5 module cause the issue that I'm seeing?  I've sent a note to the
system administrators to try and get this fixed in the installation.

Thanks,
Tim
[w]