[Numpy-discussion] Is this a bug in numpy.distutils ?

Dave dave.hirschfeld@gmail....
Tue Aug 4 02:56:31 CDT 2009

David Cournapeau <david <at> ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Matthew Brett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are using numpy.distutils, and have run into this odd behavior in windows:
> >

> Short answer:
>
> I am afraid it cannot work as you want. Basically, when you pass an
> option to build_ext, it does not affect other distutils commands, which
> are run before build_ext, and need the compiler (config in this case I
> think). So you need to pass the -c option to every command affected by
> the compiler (build_ext, build_clib and config IIRC).
>
> cheers,
>
> David

I'm having the same problems! Running windows XP, Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916,
Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)].

In my distutils.cfg I've got:

[build]
compiler=mingw32

[config]
compiler = mingw32

and previously a python setup.py bdist_wininst would create an .exe installer,
now I get the following error message:

error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

python setup.py build build_ext --compiler=mingw32 appeared to work (barring a
warning: numpy\core\setup_common.py:81: MismatchCAPIWarning) but then how do I
create a .exe installer afterwards? python setup.py bdist_wininst fails with
 the same error message as before and python setup.py bdist_wininst
--compiler=mingw32 fails with the message:
error: option --compiler not recognized

Is it still possible to create a .exe installer on Windows and if so what are
the commands we need to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help/workarounds it would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Dave