[Numpy-discussion] Funded work on Numpy: proposed improvements and request for feedback

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Tue Aug 4 16:24:35 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM, David
Cournapeau<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I (David Cournapeau) and the people at Berkeley (Jarrod Millman,
> Fernando Perez, Matthew Brett) have been in discussion so that I could
> do some funded work on NumPy/SciPy. Although they are obviously
> interested in improvements that help their own projects, they are
> willing to make sure the work will impact numpy/scipy as a whole. As
> such we would like to get some feedback about the proposal.
>
> There are several areas we discussed about, but the main 'vision' is to
> make more of the C code in numpy reusable to 3rd parties, in particular
> purely computational (fft, linear algebra, etc...) code. A first draft
> of the proposal is pasted below.
>
> Comments, request for details, objections are welcomed,
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> The Berkeley team, Gael Varoquaux and David Cournapeau

[snip]

Almost a year ago Travis send an email :
'Report from SciPy'?
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2008-August/036909.html

Of importance was that
" * NumPy 2.0 will be a library and will not automagically import numpy.fft
 * We will suggest that other libraries use from numpy import fft
instead of import numpy as np; np.fft
"

I sort of see that the proposed work could help make numpy a library
as a whole but it is not clear that the work is heading towards that
goal. So if numpy 2.0 is still planned as a library then I would like
to see a clearer statement towards that goal.

Not really understanding the problems of C99, but I know that trying
to cover all the little details can be very time consuming when more
effort could be spent on things.
So if 'C99-like' is going to be the near term future, is there any
point in supporting non-C99 environments with this work?
That is, is the limitation in the compiler, operating system,
processor or some combination of these?

Anyhow, these are only my thoughts and pale in comparison to the work
you are doing so feel free ignore them.

Thanks
Bruce