[Numpy-discussion] Strange Error with NumPy Addendum

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Aug 6 18:29:41 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 18:26, Nanime Puloski<npuloski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your responses so far.
> What I also do not understand is why sin(2**64) works with
> the standard Python math module, but fails to do so with NumPy?

math.sin() always converts the argument to a float. We do not.

> To Robert Kern:
> Can't 2^64 be represented in C as a long double?

For that value, yes, but not for long objects in general. We don't
look at the value itself, just the type.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco