[Numpy-discussion] Merging datetime, Yes or No

Sat Aug 8 12:12:28 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:23 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> > I ask again,
> >
> > Datetime is getting really stale and hasn't been touched recently.
> > Do the datetime folks want it merged or not, because it's getting to
> > be a bit of work.
>
> Chuck,
> Please check directly w/ Travis O. (and Robert ?), the only
> contributor(s) so far to this branch. Marty Fuhry, our GSoC student
> working on the same topic, is now trying to integrate his routines to
> the sources, and it'd be best if we had some up-to-date sources...
> P.

I've been waiting for some sort of nod from that direction. I actually see
two parts here: a straight forward part involving the datetime and timedelta
types, and a more complicated bit involving all the units and such. I think
the latter needs to be looked at along with Darren's work for adding units
to decide if it is the best approach. And I wonder a bit if a subclass using
Darren's stuff wouldn't be the way to go seeing as how the two new types are
basically npy_int64.

Anyway, I think I'll just stop worrying about it and go ahead with updates
in the trunk. Merging datetime might be a bit of work but I'll just leave
that to those involved ;)

Chuck