[Numpy-discussion] vectorize problem with f2py and gfortran 4.3

David Huard david.huard@gmail....
Mon Aug 10 14:08:01 CDT 2009

Hi all,

A user on the pymc user list has reported a problem with f2py wrapped
fortran functions compiled with gfortran 4.3, which is the standard Ubuntu
Jaunty fortran compiler. I noticed the same bug in some of my own routines.
The problem, as far as I can understand, is that vectorize tries to find the
number of arguments by calling the function with no arguments and parsing
the error message. With numpy 1.3, python 2.6 and gfortran 4.3, the error
message is not what numpy expects, and does not contain the expected number
of arguments. So I am wondering if there is a reliable way to introspect
compiled extensions to provide the number of arguments needed by vectorize ?

Thanks,

David