[Numpy-discussion] adaptive sampling of an interval or plane

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 12 13:51:40 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM, John Hunter<jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> We would like to add function plotting to mpl, but to do this right we
> need to be able to adaptively sample a function evaluated over an
> interval so that some tolerance condition is satisfied, perhaps with
> both a relative and absolute error tolerance condition.  I am a bit
> out of my area of competency here, eg I do not know exactly how the
> tolerance condition should be specified, but I suspect some of you
> here may be experts on this.  Does anyone have some code compatible
> with the BSD license, preferably based on numpy but we would consider
> an extension code or scipy solution, for doing this?
>
> The functionality we have in mind is provided in matlab with fplot
>
>  http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/fplot.html
>
> We would like 1D and 2D versions of this ideally.  If anyone has some
> suggestions, let me know.

In a past life I wrote code to do this in d=1..6, with lots of other
bells and whistles.  I'm no longer actively involved with the project,
but a colleague has recently updated it with an eye towards releasing
it, and right now I'm the bottleneck (time) to review the changes. I
just checked out the updated version of the code and it looks a fair
bit simpler than my original machinery, which had accreted lots of
Fortran dependencies for historical but otherwise uninteresting
reasons.

How about we have a look at this next week at the conference?  I'll
ping my colleague in the meantime to check on this...

Cheers,