[Numpy-discussion] linalg svd illegal instruction

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Aug 27 12:03:37 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:00, Jack Yu<jackchungchiehyu@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble using the function numpy.linalg.svd().  It works fine on
> my personal computer.  However, when I use it on a cluster at university, it
> returns 'Illegal Instruction', when the input matrix is complex.  Is this
> function meant to work on a complex array?

Yes.

> If so, what could be the cause
> of the illegal instruction message?

The numpy installed on your cluster was linked against a build of
ATLAS that was not configured correctly for the CPU it is running on.

> The version of numpy is 1.2.1.  I have tried calling it via both
> numpy.linalg.svd(), and pylab.svd().

The latter just calls the former.

--
Robert Kern