[Numpy-discussion] What type should / return in python 3k when applied to two integer types?

Thu Aug 27 16:40:42 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 14:22, Christopher Barker<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>
> > By the way -- is there something about py3k that changes all this? Or is
> > this just an opportunity to perhaps make some backward-incompatible
> > changes to numpy?
>
> Python 3 makes the promised change of int/int => float.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

I also intend to make it work with

from future import division

As a start. Because we only support python >= 2.4, the new division is
available and that could help us with porting.
I've also considered making that import the default for numpy
internally, so we can fix things up, but that may be a
bit radical.

Chuck