[Numpy-discussion] What type should / return in python 3k when applied to two integer types?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Aug 27 17:21:34 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 15:13, Christopher Barker<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:
>> I also intend to make it work with
>>
>> from future import division
>
> doesn't already?
>
> In [3]: from __future__ import division
>
> In [5]: 3 / 4
> Out[5]: 0.75
>
> In [6]: import numpy as np
>
> In [7]: np.array(3) / np.array(4)
> Out[7]: 0.75
>
> In [8]: np.array(3) // np.array(4)
> Out[8]: 0

Yes, the support for that feature is already there.

>> I've also considered making that import the default for numpy
>
> I'd like that, but it is a bit radical --

I don't think so. The policy just affects modules inside numpy, not
users of numpy.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."