[Numpy-discussion] future directions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Aug 28 11:18:41 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 09:15, Christopher Barker<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Joe Harrington wrote:
>> However, there are two natural forklets coming up.
>>
>> The first is Python 3.0, which will necessitate some API changes.
>
> Absolutely! This seems like a no-brainer. I don't think we are talking
> about really major changes to the numpy API anyway, generally clean-up,
> and there is no way anyone is going to get their Py2 code working on Py3
> without tweaking it anyway, this is the time to do it.

No, it is the *worst* time to do it. We have been asked by the Python
developer team *not* to use the Python 3 transition to break all kinds
of other backwards compatibility. If we and other libraries do that,
people will simply not transition to Python 3. Or they will transition
to another language that they think is more stable.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco