[Numpy-discussion] Merge of date-time branch completed

Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Fri Aug 28 11:47:12 CDT 2009

Hello folks,

In keeping with the complaint that the pace of NumPy development is
too fast, I've finished the merge of the datetime branch to the core.
The trunk builds and all the (previous) tests pass for me.

There are several tasks remaining to be done (the current status is
definitely still alpha):

* write many unit tests for the desired behavior  (especially for the
many different kinds of dates supported)
* finish coercion between datetimes and timedeltas with different
frequencies
* improve the ufuncs that support datetime and timedelta so that they
look at the frequency information.
* improve the way datetime arrays print
* probably several other things that I haven't listed

Because of the last point, I will spend my next effort on the work
updating the proposal to more clearly define some of the expected
behaviors and write documentation about the expected behavior of the
new features.

Help, reviews, criticisms, suggestions, fixes, and patches, are most
welcome.

Best regards,

-Travis