[Numpy-discussion] Python 3K merge

Pauli Virtanen pav+sp@iki...
Thu Dec 3 03:39:30 CST 2009

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:31:10 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like you doing great stuff with the py3k transition. Do you
>> and David have any sort of merge schedule in mind?
>
> I have updated my py3k branch for numpy.distutils, and it is ready to
> merge:
>
> http://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/py3k_bootstrap_take3
>
> I have not thoroughly tested it, but it can run on both 2.4 and 3.1 on
> Linux at least. The patch is much smaller than my previous attempts as
> well, so I would just push it to the trunk, and deal with the issues as
> they come.

I think I should rebase my branch on this, or vice versa, to avoid
further duplicated work.

I think most of my changes would be ready for SVN, after rebasing and
regrouping via rebase -i -- they do not affect behavior on Py2, and for
the most part the changes required in C code are quite obvious.

The largest changes are probably related to the 'S' data type.

In other news, we cannot support Py2 pickles in Py3 -- this is because
Py2 str is unpickled as Py3 str, resulting to encoding failures even
before the data is passed on to Numpy.

But in any case, Py3 support for Numpy 1.5.0 seems a completely realistic
plan.

--
Pauli Virtanen