[Numpy-discussion] How to solve homogeneous linear equations with NumPy?

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat Dec 5 22:27:54 CST 2009

On 12/3/2009 12:40 AM, Peter Cai wrote:
> If I have homogeneous linear equations like this
>
> array([[-0.75,  0.25,  0.25,  0.25],
>         [ 1.  , -1.  ,  0.  ,  0.  ],
>         [ 1.  ,  0.  , -1.  ,  0.  ],
>
> And I want to get a non-zero solution for it. How can it be done with NumPy?
>
> linalg.solve only works on A * x = b where b does not contains only 0.

Just to be clear:
linalg.solve does not have any problem with b=0.
It does have a problem with a singular coefficient matrix,
like the one above.

But I suppose Chuck answered your real question.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac