[Numpy-discussion] Chararray depreciated?

Sun Dec 6 07:10:10 CST 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 01:11:24PM +0100, Ralf Gommers wrote:

>    [2]http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.chararray.html
>    > says that chararray are depreciated. I think I saw a discussion on the
>    > mailing list that hinted otherwise. Which one is true? Should I correct
>    > the docs?

>    You're right, after Mike's fixes that note should have been changed. I
>    thought Mike had also proposed an alternative text, but I can't find it
>    right now. So feel free to change it.

>    Also keep in mind the following (from another of Mike's emails):
>    "All vectorized string operations are now available as regular functions
>    in the numpy.char namespace.

Excellent. I tweeked a bit the text to make it clearer:
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.defchararray.chararray/

I made it clear that the replacement are present only starting numpy 1.4.
I'd love a review and an 'OK to apply'.

By the way, this switch is a clear improvement over chararrays, IMHO.
Congratulations to the pack and Mike for identifying usecases and giving
a good implementation to answer them.

Gaël