[Numpy-discussion] Py3 merge

Michael Droettboom mdroe@stsci....
Mon Dec 7 08:12:11 CST 2009

Charles R Harris wrote:

> We need character arrays for the astro people. I assume these will be
> byte arrays. Maybe Michael will weigh in here.
I can't find in the thread where removing byte arrays (meaning arrays of
fixed-length non-unicode strings) was suggested -- though changing the
dtype specifier for them was.  That is 'S' would change to 'B' in
python3 (with some deprecation period for 'S'), and 'U' would remain
'U'.  That seems acceptable to me, as long as we have some way to have
fixed-length 8-bit strings.  Hopefully all the new chararray unit tests
will help with this transition.

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom