[Numpy-discussion] Release blockers for 1.4.0 ?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Dec 7 11:31:37 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:24 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are a few issues which have been found on numpy 1.4.0, which worry
>> me:
>>
>> # 1317: segfaults for integer division overflow
>> # 1318: all FPU exceptions ignored by default
>>
>> #1318 worries me the most: I think it is a pretty serious regression,
>> since things like this go unnoticed:
>>
>> x = np.array([1, 2, 3, 4]) / 0 # x is an array of 0, no warning printed
>>

> Hasn't that always been the case? Unless we have a way to raise exceptions
> from ufuncs I don't know what else we can do.

No, it is a consequence of errors being set to ignored in numpy.ma:

http://projects.scipy.org/gitweb?p=numpy;a=blob;f=numpy/ma/core.py;h=f28a5738efa6fb6c4cbf0b3479243b0d7286ae32;hb=master#l107

So the fix is easy - but then it shows many (> 500) invalid values,
etc... related to wrong fpu handling (most of them are limited to the
new polynomial code, though).

David