[Numpy-discussion] Cython issues w/ 1.4.0

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Tue Dec 8 11:37:10 CST 2009

ke, 2009-12-09 kello 02:28 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:
[clip]
> It seems that it is partly a cython problem. If py3k can be done for
> numpy 1.5, I wonder if we should focus on making incompatible numpy
> 1.6 (or 2.0 :) ), with an emphasis on making the C api more robust
> about those changes, using opaque pointer, functions, etc...
> Basically, implementing something like PEP 384, but for numpy.
>
> As numpy becomes more and more used as a basic for so many softwares,
> I feel like the current situation is hurting numpy users quite badly.
> Maybe I am overestimate the problem, though ?

If we add an unused

	void *private

both to ArrayDescr and ArrayObject for 1.4.x, we can stuff private data
there and don't need to break the ABI again for 1.5 just because of
possible changes to implementation details. (And if it turns we can do
without them in 1.5.x, then we have some leeway for future changes.)

I think this would be a harmless addition, although we are already in
the rc phase. Thoughts?

	Pauli