[Numpy-discussion] [Nipy-devel] Impossibility to build nipy on recent numpy?

Thu Dec 10 16:40:28 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:28:52PM -0800, Fernando Perez wrote:
> and that's because for each one of these, I correctly configure ALL of these:

> PATH: binary execution
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: dynamic linker search path
> LIBRARY_PATH: static linking by gcc (like -L)
> CPATH: generic include path for gcc (like -I), used for all languages
> C_INCLUDE_PATH: C-specific include path, after CPATH
> CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH: C++-specific include path, after CPATH
> PYTHONPATH: search path for python packages

I have an aversion to changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH,
C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPATH, and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, because I believe it leads
to non reproducibles builds or run-time.

More importantly, having to pull these tricks often reveals
non-compatible run-times, and thus impossibility to share code, eg to use
system code in localy-installed packages[*]. Now, we are indeed in such a
situation (because we have binary incompatibility between numpy 1.3 and
numpy 1.4), and there is nothing I can do to avoid it. It just makes me
very unhappy.

I am confortable enough with a Linux build environment to pull tricks to
get stuff to build and run most of the time. I do however consider it
wrong to have to do so. I don't want to use these tricks systematicaly.
I'd much rather trip on the incompatibilities, and report them as bugs or
annoyances.

Thanks for offering, though.

Gaël

[*] To give examples, I don't consider that I should have to build
atlas to use scipy svn. I do it quite often because I get better
performance, but it should not be necessary. Similarly, I want to be able
to install Mayavi svn and use the system VTK, and the system VTK Python
bindings. Matplotlib should be able to use pygtk from the system...