[Numpy-discussion] Segmentation fault with argsort

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Dec 18 11:52:50 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:46, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the numpy 1.3 binary from Ubuntu 9.10. Is this already
> known, fixed, reproducible?
>
>>> np.array(121).argsort(0).argsort(0)
> Segmentation fault
>
> The expected result:
>
> AttributeError: 'np.int64' object has no attribute 'argsort'

Why would you expect that? On OS X with an SVN checkout ~1.4:

In [1]: np.array(121).argsort(0).argsort(0)
Out[1]: 0

In [6]: np.int64.argsort
Out[6]: <method 'argsort' of 'numpy.generic' objects>

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco