[Numpy-discussion] Announcing toydist, improving distribution and packaging situation

Wed Dec 30 19:50:06 CST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> You really should not try to make the point that Pypi is working for
> the scipy community:

I think the evidence supports that pypi is useful, and therefor better
than nothing -- which in no way means it couldn't be much better.

My personal experience is that I always try:

easy_install whatever

first, and when it works, I'm happy and a bit surprised. It virtually
never works for more complex packages, particularly on OS-X:
  - PIL
  - scipy
  - matplotlib
  - netcdf4
  - gdal
I don't now if wxPython is on PyPi, I've never even tried.

many of these fail because of other non-python dependencies.

So yes -- we really could use something better!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov