[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.3 release date ?

jh@physics.uc... jh@physics.uc...
Wed Feb 4 11:01:45 CST 2009

Scott Sinclair <scott.sinclair.za@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/2/4 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> All,
>>> When can we expect numpy 1.3 to be released ?
>>
>> I think official 2.6 support (with binaries for the platforms where we
>> support binaries), x64 support and everything which has been done
>> already would be enough to make a release.

I'd like to see a self-consistent and reasonably recent numpy/scipy
make the Ubuntu 9.04 FeatureFreeze deadline of 19 February.  Is this
possible?  One of the reasons we had discussed doing more frequent
releases was to get consistent and recent packages in the mainstream
Linuxes, and Ubuntu is very popular in our community.

>There are a bunch of documentation patches that should to be reviewed
>and applied to SVN before the release (especially those marked 'Needs
>review' or better).

>http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/patch/

At this point, we're focussing on getting semi-decent drafts of as
many docstrings as possible rather than on polishing the ones we have
as drafts, on the basis of "something is always better than nothing as
long as it's not wrong".  So, please don't hold up a release for
review, just get as many drafts in as possible.

Also, it has become clear that we need separate technical and writing
reviews, as a number of pages marked as "reviewed" are deficient in
one or the other area, probably the one that wasn't the strength of
the reviewer.  That entails discussion and revamping of the site,
which can happen once we have a larger percentage of the docstrings in
draft form.  (Any discussion on the merits of this should take place
on scipy-dev, which is the home of doc discussions.)

--jh--