[Numpy-discussion] preferred numpy build system

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Feb 7 08:42:52 CST 2009

Hi Ondrej,

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have couple beginners questions about numscons. What is the
> preferred build system for numpy now, is it numscons? The README
> doesn't mention numscons, so I am a bit confused what the future plan
> is.

Sorry for the confusion: numscons is NOT the preferred build system.
The current numpy.distutils extensions, as shipped by numpy, is the
preferred one. Numscons is more an experiment, if you want.

> Also by doing:
>
> $ python setupscons.py install
> Running from numpy source directory.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setupscons.py", line 56, in <module>
>    raise DistutilsError('\n'.join(msg))
> distutils.errors.DistutilsError: You cannot build numpy with scons
> without the numscons package
> (Failure was: No module named numscons)
>

> so the numscons package needs to be installed -- but it is not in
> Debian.

No, it not.

> So is it supposed to be in Debian?

No, I don't think it should be. It is not yet stabilized code wise, so
it does not make much sense to package it.

> Is numscons supposed to be
> a build system for other projects as well? Why not to just send the
> needed patches to scons and just use scons?

Because you cannot just use scons. Numscons is a library build on top
of scons, for the needs of numpy. There also needs to be some hook
from numpy.distutils to use scons (numscons adds a new distutils
command, which is used instead of build to build any compiled
code-based extensions). Most of the changes needed for scons have been
integrated upstream, though, except one or two things.

David