[Numpy-discussion] preferred numpy build system

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Sun Feb 8 17:02:36 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I am investigating cmake, it's pretty cool. I wrote some macros
>> for cython etc. What I like about cmake is that it is cross platform
>> and it just produces makefiles on linux, or visual studio files (or
>> whatever) on windows.  When I get more experience with it, I'll post
>> here.
>
> Yes, while I haven't played with cmake much, it does look very nice.
>
>> What I don't like on cmake is that it uses it's own language, instead
>> of python, on the other hand, so far everything seems to just work.
>
> I too don't like the idea of cmake having its own language.  While I
> love to learn new languages, I like to have good reasons and I'm not
> sure that building software is a good reason.
>
> I have been playing with Scons and I really do like the fact that it
> is Python.  While I haven't tried it yet, I am pretty sure that we
> could use IPython to interactively debug a Scons build.  That would be
> really nice!
>
>> Contrary to numscons, where it looks almost like a new python program
>> just to build numpy.
>
> But hold on, it is not fair to compare cmake with numscons (this is an
> apples and oranges thing).  You should compare cmake with *Scons*
> itself.  The problem with comparing cmake with numscons is that cmake
> can't do what numscons does - i.e., plug into distutils.  There is a
> lot of extra things that distutils does other than build extensions
> and cmake won't do these things out of the box.  Obviously, someone
> could get cmake to do these things, but then you are developing a
> complete distutils replacement.  And I think that any distutils
> replacement should done in Python.

Yes, I agree with what you said. I still want to try cmake though, if
nothing, at least to know where we want to go. Yes, I should compare
cmake with scons.

We can either develop python front end to cmake, or just help improve
scons/numscons etc. I really like that cmake generates native
makefiles and windows visual studio files etc. In any case, whatever
we choose to use, I want to have experience with both scons and cmake.

Ondrej