[Numpy-discussion] linalg.norm missing an 'axis' kwarg?!

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Feb 9 07:08:05 CST 2009

2009/2/9 Hans Meine <meine@informatik.uni-hamburg.de>:
>> Here's a basic implementation.  docstring + tests not updated yet, also I
>> wonder whether axis should be the first argument, but that could create
>> compatibility problems.
>
> AFAICS, I never received an answer, but IMHO this should be integrated into
> NumPy.  Any objections?

I often work with vectors inside an array, so I would find it useful
(even if it is just a two-line wrapper).  I'd also add an "out"
argument, so that the signature is similar to that of max, min, etc.

norm(a, ord=None, axis=None, out=None)

Cheers
Stéfan