[Numpy-discussion] PyArray_SETITEM with object arrays in Cython

Wes McKinney wesmckinn@gmail....
Wed Feb 11 09:10:44 CST 2009

Hello,

I am writing some Cython code and have noted that the buffer interface
offers very little speedup for PyObject arrays. In trying to rewrite the
same code using the C API in Cython, I find I can't get PyArray_SETITEM to
work, in a call like:

PyArray_SETITEM(result, <void *> iterresult.dataptr, obj)

where result is an ndarray of dtype object, and obj is a PyObject*.

Anyone have some experience with this can offer pointers (no pun intended!)?

Thanks,
Wes