[Numpy-discussion] Fast threading solution thoughts

Thu Feb 12 00:12:45 CST 2009

Robert Kern wrote:

> Eric Jones tried to do this with pthreads in C some time ago. His work is here:
>
>   http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/branches/multicore/
>
> The lock overhead makes it usually not worthwhile.

I am curious: would you know what would be different in numpy's case
compared to matlab array model concerning locks ? Matlab, up to
recently, only spreads BLAS/LAPACK on multi-cores, but since matlab 7.3
(or 7.4), it also uses multicore for mathematical functions (cos,
etc...). So at least in matlab's model, it looks like it can be useful.
I understand that numpy's model is more flexible (I don't think strided
arrays can overlap in matlab for example, at least not from what you can
see from the public API).

cheers,

David