[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] Numpy 1.2.1 and Scipy 0.7.0; Ubuntu packages

Thu Feb 12 01:59:29 CST 2009

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, it does require some work, because hardy uses g77
>>> instead of gfortran, so the source package has to be different (once
>>> hardy is done, all the one below would be easy, though). I am not sure
>>> how to do that with PPA (the doc is not great).
>>>
>> OK, thanks for the info.  This is already very useful.
>>

> What exactly is the expected problem and how would I verify that I'm not
> getting hit by it?

I want to follow as closely as possible the official debian/ubuntu
packages. Ideally, any package produced on the PPA superseded by an
official package (from 1.2.1-1~ppaN to 1.2.1-1) should be identical to
the superseding package. Hardy default fortran ABI is g77, not gfortran,
so I have to use g77 for hardy - and the ppa package, limited to
intrepid, use gfortran (since intrepid ABI is gfortran's).

In your case, you built a package which uses gfortran ABI on Hardy - it
works, but is not really acceptable for an official package - and thus,
when an upgrade from ppa to official happens, you won't get the same
package. In the rpm  world, you can use conditional on distribution
version/type int the spec file (which is the control  + changelog  +
rules in one file), but AFAIK, you can't do that with debian, or at
least have not found the relevant doc.

cheers,

David