[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] Numpy 1.2.1 and Scipy 0.7.0; Ubuntu packages

Andrew Straw strawman@astraw....
Thu Feb 12 05:39:59 CST 2009

OK, I think you're concerned about compatibility of Python extensions
using fortran. We don't use any (that I know of), so I'm going to stop
worrying about this and upload .debs from your .dsc (or very close) to
my repository...

...except for one last question: If Hardy uses the g77 ABI but I'm
building scipy with gfortran, shouldn't there be an ABI issue with my
ATLAS? Shouldn't I get lots of test failures with scipy? I don't.

David Cournapeau wrote:
> My main rationale to provide PPA is to avoid the never-ending queue of
> emails about missing symbols, etc... because I am tired of it, because
> it gives a bad mouth taste to users, because I would like to deal with
> more interesting issues.

Well, I appreciate you doing that. Packaging is a thankless job... and
when everything works on your own computer, it's hard to work up the
motivation to make it work on others'.
>> To understand your statement about identical, I will operationally
>> define "identical" for .debs to mean that they were built from the same
>> .dsc.
>>

> I has an even larger definition of identical: same control/rules/patches
> is identical for me.

This is the only other point I want to make: if you're building from the
same .dsc, it means you're using the same control/rules/patches. (That's
why I brought up the checksums and the signatures.)