[Numpy-discussion] additional dtype argument to numpy.dot() (Re: Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 29, Issue 48)

David Henderson davidh@ipac.caltech....
Wed Feb 18 11:37:54 CST 2009

Hi Paul, list:

Thanks for the reply.

numpy.sum()  does indeed have a dtype for the accumulator for the
sum. numpy.sum() does not implement an inner (dot) product, just a
straight summation.

The feature I'm requesting is to add a similar accumulator type
argument for numpy.dot().

After tracing some of the code, the there is a generic dot product
algorithm for the various types. If a BLAS library is available, the
BLAS routines will supplant the library, but only for the BLAS
routines that exist.

BLAS doesn't support long double, so only a subset of the different
calls for different types call BLAS.

The place where this feature comes into play is iterative refinement
of a linear algebra solution. To implement iterative refinement, an
error term is calculated as a matrix dot product with a higher
precision than the elements of the matrix.

The floating point hardware on the i386/PPC/Sparc is ready to go for
this application, its just that BLAS doesn't implement it.

The numpy.dot() function is missing the feature to supply the type of
the accumulator for the sum.

I'm looking for a way to prototype some routines to perform iterative
refinement, and python/numpy looks like an ideal platform.

numpy has _almost_ the feature set needed to implement this. Adding
the accumulator type argument to numpy.dot() is a needed feature.

code snippet exhibiting float128 functionality that already exists:
--------------------------
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Feb 12 2009, 16:56:09)
 >>> import numpy
 >>> z=numpy.longdouble((1,2,3))
 >>> z
array([1.0, 2.0, 3.0], dtype=float128)
 >>> y=numpy.double((4,5,6))
 >>> y
array([ 4.,  5.,  6.])
 >>> numpy.dot(y,y)
77.0
 >>> numpy.dot(y,z)
32.0
 >>> numpy.dot(z,z)
14.0
---------------------------

I'm prepared to make the changes to numpy. It looks like they would
entail modifying the source file "multiarrayobject.c". The existing
code is:

/*NUMPY_API
   Numeric.innerproduct(a,v)
*/
static PyObject *
PyArray_InnerProduct(PyObject *op1, PyObject *op2)
{

If I make changes, can I get them inserted into the numpy source base
(after appropriate testing??)

Thanks in advance,

David Henderson