[Numpy-discussion] parallel compilation of numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Feb 18 18:33:13 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 18:14, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a shiny new computer with 8 cores and numpy still takes forever
> to compile --- is there a way to compile it in parallel (make -j9)?
>
> Do distutils allow that?

No. numscons will, though.

> If not, let's move to some build system that
> allows that? Just wanted to check if there is some reason for that,
> apart from patches welcome. :)

I'm not opposed in principle to numscons becoming the default build
system for numpy. But I'm also entirely uninterested in spending my
personal time on it, for example. I'm not sure if David thinks it's
ready to fully replace the default build system, yet; he could
probably use your help. So yes, "patches welcome."  :-)

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco