[Numpy-discussion] Core math library in numpy

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Feb 19 09:28:42 CST 2009

Fri, 20 Feb 2009 00:16:42 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
[clip]
> Ok, I have started this in the coremath branch - it solves the warning
> issues we got since the merge of formatting stuff. I tested it on Linux,
> windows (both mingw and VS - still need to test on Win64), so I think it
> is good to go in the trunk. The functions exported are in a separate
> header:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/browser/branches/coremath/numpy/
core/include/numpy/npy_math.h

One question: doesn't this add one extra function call to all umath
functions? Could we do '#define npy_XXX XXX' in the npy_math.h header
when the appropriate platform-specified functions are available?

> I did not put the complex functions there (nc_), but maybe they should
> be, I am not sure.

I think they should be. Then we could easily use C99 complex math
functions on plaforms on which they are available (and so get the
"correct" corner-case semantics for free on these platforms).

	Pauli