[Numpy-discussion] Core math library in numpy

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Feb 26 02:23:46 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good, I don't think the complex functions are a pressing concern. But
> I suspect we should start looking forward to a code freeze in a month or so
> and getting the build working is a clear priority.

The build is working more or less. Building with VS 2008 works (by
works I mean build and run the testsuite with a couple of failures),
but building mingw-w64 still does not (it builds, but the test suite
crashes at several points - up to now, it was mostly bugs in the
mingw-w64 tools, but I think some errors are ours now). Building with
mingw-w64 is necessary IMO, because I don't see an easy way to build
scipy wo a free fortran compiler, and gfortran is the only one I know
on windows 64 (VS 2008 + gfortran breaks horribly on 64 bits ATM).
Restricting numpy wo BLAS/LAPACK for windows 64 bits may be another
option: in that case, the infrastructure can be considered ready. In
any case, the windows 64 bits build would be very experimental.

Building the 32 bits version with python 2.6 should work well, too - I
am confident we can release binaries for 2.6 on windows and mac os X
for 1.3, even if it is released in a short time.

> Maybe we should start the
> release process? I have a short list of things I think I should finish up
> and now might be a good time to put together a list of things to do.

Yes, I was thinking about that too. There was a 1.3 thread a couple of
weeks ago, we should summarize it, and set a timeline for 1.3 really
soon. I can do it, unless you want do it it,

David