[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: PyArray_DescrConverter segfault

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jan 1 16:11:10 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 14:21, Igor Sylvester <igorsyl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize I need to call import_array() in the module initialization
> module.  Why isn't this equivalent to importing numpy before importing my
> module?

In 3rd party extension modules, all of the PyArray_* API functions are
actually #define macros pointing to an array of function pointers.
import_array() imports numpy.core.multiarray and sets up this array.
If you don't do this, then trying to call one of the PyArray_*
functions will result in a segfault because it tries to dereference a
pointer in the array that is not set up.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco