[Numpy-discussion] Numpy performance vs Matlab.

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Wed Jan 7 13:26:25 CST 2009

On 1/7/2009 7:52 PM, josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:

> But, I think,
> matlab is ahead in parallelization (which I haven't used much)

Not really. There is e.g. nothing like Python's multiprocessing package
in Matlab. Matlab is genrally single-threaded. Python is multi-threaded
but there is a GIL. And having multiple Matlab processes running
simultaneously consumes a lot of resources. Python is far better in this
respect. Don't confuse vectorization with parallelization. It is not the
same. If you are going to do real parallelization, you are better off
using Python with multiprocessing or mpi4py.

> and learning matlab is easier than numpy. (dtypes and broadcasting are
> more restrictive in matlab but, for a beginner, easier to figure out)

The available data types is about the same, at least last time I
checked. (I am not thinking about Python built-ins here, but NumPy dtypes.)

Matlab does not have broadcasting. Array shapes must always match.

S.M.