[Numpy-discussion] change made to test_print.py

Christopher Hanley chanley@stsci....
Thu Jan 8 14:11:55 CST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Christopher Hanley <chanley@stsci.edu> wrote:
>> David Cournapeau wrote:

>>> Hi Christopher,
>>>
>>> Please do not modify those tests - they are supposed to fail,
>>>
>>> David
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Sorry.  Should these tests be generating a "known failures" then?
>
> No. The problem are known, and are being fixed (in a branch). Since
> the problem is only in the development trunk, I don't see any problem
> with having failures for some time,
>
> David

I would disagree.  If you were to attempt the following:

n = numpy.test()
n.wasSuccessful()

You expect the result to be 'True'.  If not it is necessary to find out
why.  Right now the following occurs:

 >>> n.wasSuccessful()
False

I have no way of knowing that you wanted those tests to fail unless you
have them marked as KNOWNFAIL. Since we use numpy in our production
systems I need to determine why numpy is failing.  We track the changes
on the trunk because we need to know how changes will effect our code
prior to our customers downloading the latest numpy release.  This
'False' return value from wasSuccessful() means that our automated
systems tell us that numpy is broken.

The common assumption is that tests are not suppose to fail.  If they
are failing then there is a problem.

If you have tests that you want to fail, either make the failure a
condition of the test passing or move the tests to the branch where you
are doing your development.

Thanks,
Chris

--