[Numpy-discussion] replace array values efficiently

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Jan 9 01:33:22 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 01:19, Prashant Saxena <animator333@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to numpy and getting my hands on slowly.
>
> How do you replace integers from strings in an integer array. (1D)
>
> For example:
>
> array = {1,1,1,2,3,3,4}
>
> replace 1 with "apple"
> replace 2 with "cheery"
> replace 3 with "mango"
> replace 4 with "banana"
>
> I know the general solution, but I am looking for an efficient way,
> supported by numpy/scipy to do this kind of conversion as fast as possible.

I'd actually use a dictionary for this:

In [1]: replacements = {1: 'apple', 2: 'cherry', 3: 'mango', 4: 'banana'}

In [2]: map(replacements.get, [1,1,1,2,3,3,4])
Out[2]: ['apple', 'apple', 'apple', 'cherry', 'mango', 'mango', 'banana']

But if you really want to use numpy for this:

In [3]: from numpy import *

In [4]: replacements_array = array([None, 'apple', 'cherry', 'mango',
'banana'], dtype=object)

In [5]: replacements_array[[1,1,1,2,3,3,4]]
Out[5]: array([apple, apple, apple, cherry, mango, mango, banana], dtype=object)

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco