[Numpy-discussion] remove need for site.cfg on default

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Jan 15 22:53:09 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jarrod,
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Due to the fact that I was tired of adding site.cfg to scipy and numpy
>> when building on Fedora and Ubuntu systems as well as a scipy ticket
>> (http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/985), I decided to try and add
>> default system paths to numpy.distutils.  You can find out more
>> details on this ticket:
>>  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/817
>>
>> I would like to have as many people test this as possible.  So I would
>> like everyone, who has had to build numpy/scipy with a site.cfg
>> despite having installed all the dependencies in the system default
>> locations, to test this.  If you would please update to the numpy
>> trunk and build numpy and scipy without your old site.cfg.  Regardless
>> of whether it works or not, I would appreciate it if you could let me
>> know.
>
> I tested on Gentoo, which does some non-standard stuff in an attempt to be
> able to switch between implementations. The libraries in /usr/lib are
> symlinks to the implementations in /usr/lib/blas/, and you can have various
> implementations like atlas, reference, or threaded-atlas, so I can run a
> program called eselect that lets me switch between the implementations. For
> some reason, gentoo renames the f77blas libs to simply blas.

That really baffles me. Why do distributions think it is ok to
randomly rename libraries - they certainly could handle a eselect
system without renaming libraries, so that they avoid breaking the
softwares depending on the libraries,

David